Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Cinnamon and Banana Bread


It is no secret that I am mad for cinnamon, I am instantly pulled to any food that contains it.

So when I set out to make banana bread last week the thought struck me to adapt my recipe with some cinnamon and make it like my Snickerdoodle Slice. Why hadn't I done this before!

Here's how I made it:
250g strong white flour
100g light brown sugar
60g unsalted butter, softened
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup sour cream (or natural yoghurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon sugar - 2 tbsp granulated sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon mixed together

Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan assisted. Grease the inside of a 9inch x 5inch loaf tin and set aside.
In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together until well blended.   Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat well after each addition. With a wooden spoon stir in the sour cream, vanilla extract and mashed bananas. Slowly stir in the contents of the medium bowl. Don't overmix. Mixture will be thick.
Spoon half the mixture into the loaf tin. Sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar and cover it with the remaining mixture.
Place into the centre of the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a skewer through the middle come out clean.
Cool on a wire rack. I topped with a drizzle of glace icing (warm water and icing sugar) but it is completely optional.
Enjoy.